Monday, July 4, 2011

The frustration of starting over

Two years ago, I went from 308lbs down to 210lbs. There was no secret, no quick fix, nothing but brute force, family support, and making good choices.

Now I find myself at 290. I gained most of this weight in the last six months. Why? Two words: Bad choices. I would love to make excuses and blame something or someone else for my current weight, and all the progress I lost, but I'm not really into the blame thing. Blame solves nothing and is an attempt to dodge responsibility and make yourself feel better. The fact is I made bad choices when I ate food.

So I'm starting over. New account, new blog, new goals. New program.

My dad has diabetes. His diabetes is a result of bad nutrition choices made over years and years. He recently read a study where many of the participants were able to reverse their diabetes by following a strict 60 day program that limited caloric intake to 600 calories. Participants ate a lot of vegetables and relied on the liquid diet drink Optifast. When he told me about the study, I decided that would be a perfect opportunity to work together towards a common goal. He would work towards losing weight and eliminating his diabetes, and I would work just toward losing weight.

This program is extreme. I'm not recommending it to anyone. You make your own choices. I'm doing it because I get good results from extreme. I need to get back to the focus and drive I had before, and this time develop a better plan to keep the weight off when I get there. I also hope that with me working with my dad, it will add the very necessary component of accountability.

Set goals. Work. Measure. Report. Repeat. That's how it's done. Let's do it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment